The 11 Best Laptops for Drawing of 2020 Reviewed
Looking back through the centuries, drawing has come a long way. Scratching images on cave walls, chiseling tablets, and etching ivory used to be state of the art ways to create artistic images.
But just like pencil and paper replaced those obsolete technologies, so have digital tools like stylus and drawing laptops have reshaped the way art is created and stored.
As hardware and software progress and become less expensive, more and more people get access to these amazing drawing technologies. And it isn’t just for professional artists and art students any more – amateurs of all levels to now afford to draw with a laptop.
Using a stylus pen and laptop can unlock a new world for illustrators, artists, painters, and even animators. And the explosion of popularity of these devices and the associated software is a testimony to how great this new avenue for artistic expression has been embraced.
Of course, before you can pick the best laptop for drawing, as a budding artist you have to know which primary features are needed for creating digital artworks. And since different types of drawing and art software have differing hardware requirements, you should start by looking at what your preferred platform needs for features before choosing a laptop. The good news is we go through all of that in our drawing laptop buyers guide. And while you won’t find a laptop under $400 or even a $600 laptop that will give you the required hardware, there are still a few bargain units that will give you what you need for not much more than that.
Want do skip right to our top choice? Check out the HP ENVY 13. It has a great balance of power and features that should more than cover what most artists will need.
Best Laptops for Drawing
Sorting through all of the different model laptops available for drawing can be daunting. To help you narrow down the field we took a hard look at what is available, including analyzing owner feedback to find out what works and what doesn’t. Based on that research here are our picks for the best laptops for drawing:
1. HP ENVY 13
The HP Envy 13 is a great portable computer that is great for everybody, from students to creatives, and even those that work in an office. Its big draw is its price, as it’s much less than its closest competitors. It’s 8th-generation Intel Core i7-8565U processor, 16GB of RAM, and up to 512GB of SSD storage, as well as an Nvidia MX250 graphics card means it packs considerable punching power. While the graphics card is not the most powerful around, it is a better option over integrated graphics cards in most standard notebooks.
The 13.3-inch, 4K (3840 x 2160) touch screen provides accurate high-quality images making it ideal for drawing and project creation. Each image looks fantastic on the screen, and the high resolution is very good quality on a laptop of this price. User-friendly wise, its keyboard and touchpad is comfortable for long-term projects, especially those that are sitting down for a long task. The battery life is over 10 hours, which beats the average ultrabook hands-down, and the aluminum lid shows a slim, sleek design, and its 2.93 lb weight makes it easily transportable.
Overall, it is a fantastic portable device that is a strong performer for most people. Throw into the mix the fact it’s cheaper than its closest competitors makes it a steal. Design-wise, it’s only a little better than its predecessor but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
- Cutting-edge security: State-of-the-art security features include webcam kill switch and integrated fingerprint reader
- 4K display: 13.3-inch diagonal 4K IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen with durable protective corning(r) Gorilla) Glass nbt(tm) (3840 x 2160) to stand up to everyday bumps and scrapes. 8.2 million pixels bring your content to life in mesmerizing quality with 178-degree wide-viewing angles
- Bios recovery and protection: Automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot-up issues
- Distinctive design: high-quality, durable, all-metal case built to last, with premium design features including a brilliant backlit keyboard and geometric pattern speaker grill
- SuperFast processor: 8th Generation intel(r) core(tm) i7-8565u, quad-core, 1.8 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology (8 MB Cache)
For those after a quick and responsive performance, this is one of the most effective laptops for those on a modest budget. The 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U Processor and 16GB of memory gives this laptop a lot of value for its modest price, making it ideal for multitasking with speed.
Its slender design makes it ideal for being out and about and the aesthetics will appeal to most, but is all plastic, which can make some people feel nervous. That said, the soft finish makes it feel sturdy without being on the cheap side. The slim design makes it a very useful laptop when you are out and about. While it weighs 5.12 pounds, this may prove a little too heavy for some, but it won’t weigh you down. Its 15-inch screen is portable enough but it’s not one of the most compact 15-inch laptops around. Performance-wise, it is fantastic for the vast majority of users who need to go on the web and do some photo editing at the same time. But its graphics system highlights just how powerful it can be, making it ideal for those looking for a bit more quality in their creations. As it’s a very strong system, it will make short work of graphic-heavy games.
With a battery life of around 7 hours, this guarantees you can get your work done when you are away from home. Its backlit keyboards make access easy. The touchpad is easy to use and its adequate connectivity means you can do most of your daily charging tasks. However, there is no USB-C port. But for those people on the move that need a laptop that is sturdy, performs well, and has to achieve so much with so little, this is certainly bang for your buck.
- Consumer Alert: Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device.
This latest model of the Predator packs a considerable amount of power. Its 16GB RAM can be extended to 32GB if necessary and its 256 GB SSD guarantees more than adequate speed. The Nvidia 1660 Ti Geforce graphics card, 144Hz IPS panel, and the latest i7 processor are the big draws with this laptop and is a lot for its modest cost. Where it comes into its own is in gaming. Using this laptop with desktop-like specifications makes it a fantastically portable device for gaming sessions, although the battery life can let you down. The display gives you 70-80 frames per second in the heaviest of games and for the creative types, it will deal with everything you can throw at it.
With a unique design and sharp curves and slopes, it looks, and is, a pleasure to operate. The backlit keyboard and numeric keypad on the right is a refreshing change of pace from most contemporary laptops and is an incredibly connected piece of equipment; with an ethernet jack, type C port, and microphone/headphone jack combo means you can connect it to pretty much anything.
For such a premium device, it can seem a little on the precious side. While the plastic body looks nice, it can prove troublesome to carry around, and its 5.07-pound weight doesn’t make things any easier. The battery life is 6 hours which doesn’t allow for productive portability while out and about. That being said, it is a very good laptop for a good price.
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7 9750H 6 Core Processor (Up to 4.5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED backlit IPS Display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness and 72 percentage NTSC)
- 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots; 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) and 1 Available Hard Drive Bay
- Backlit Keyboard; LAN: Killer Ethernet E2500 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; Wireless: Killer DoubleShot Pro Wireless AC 1550 802. 11ac; 4th Gen All Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan