The 5 Best Modems for Cox Reviewed
Not every modem you will find on the market is compatible with Cox. Also, not all Cox-compatible modems you see will be worth your money.
So why Cox? Cox is currently the third-largest cable internet service provider in the United States and has over 6 million active subscribers. The company is the most preferred by many, mainly because of the comprehensive service plan. Their service plan includes the following – Gigablast (1 Gbps), Ultimate (300 Mbps), Preferred 150 (150 Mbps), Internet Essential (50 Mbps), and Internet Starter (10 Mbps).
Cox also charges a rental fee of $10 per month, costing a client up to about $100 a year. Therefore, to wipe out this extra cost, it is recommended you get yourself a compatible modem. It would help if you found a third-party modem that you can use to produce better network performance with less demand on your electricity. Some of the third-party modems are easier to repair as compared to the Cox modems. That is why we have put together this review list of the best modems for Cox.
Best Modems for Cox
The first entry on our list is the ARRIS SURFboard SBG6900. This modem incorporates a Wi-Fi AC1900 capacity router to make this device quite handy. It can deliver very consistent internet speeds as high as 686 Mbps for downloads and 50 Mbps for uploads. It is designed to use the dual-band concurrent tech with its 2-port ethernet router. It further features a Wi-Fi beamforming tech, which provides the user with excellent internet coverage at very impressive speeds when tested against some of the best on the market.
This modem also works with the DOCSIS 3.0 with 16 x 4 channels without buffering or lag. The router is very easy to install, as it comes with light indicators that also provide guidance when it comes to troubleshooting. However, the package does not come with coaxial cable; therefore, you need to keep that in mind before making your purchase.
However, the device has a setup protected by Wi-Fi (or WPS), which comes from a wireless network setup option. This option quickly sets up a secure and protected wireless network connection for any wireless device enabled by WPS. Such devices include a network printer, a gaming box, a tablet, or a computer. One of the features that make this modem very versatile is supporting IPV4 and IPV6 internet protocols while providing a steady and consistent wireless signal. However, one of the downsides of this device is that sometimes it can freeze while being used. Also, the user may experience a drop in signal strength sometimes.
- 3 products in 1: 16x4 Cable Modem, AC1900 WiFi Router and Gigabit 4 port Wired Router
- Ceritified on Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Mediacom and many other US Cable Internet Providers. Requires Internet Service.
- Cable Modem is 16 Download and 4 Upload Bonded Channels with Internet Download speeds up 686 Mbps based on your Internet Service Plan. Approved for plans up to 300 Mbps.
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers and supports IPv4 and IPv6-the latest Internet standard. Wi-Fi beamforming – max coverage and performance
- 2 year warranty with US based customer service. Refer to the Quick Start Guide and Installation video.Router is AC1900 dual band WiFi with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Great for streaming HD Videos and gaming.
The Motorola MB8600 works with the DOCSIS 3.1 platform to provide high-speed internet service. And this makes it possible for the user to take advantage of some of the best internet service speeds available from their service providers. This device can upload at 950 Mbps and download at a rate of up to 1 Gbps without giving you the trouble of buffering or lags.
The Motorola MB8600 offers close to flawless streaming for videos, web browsing, and gaming over wireless. However, you cannot use the array of ports to send gigabit signals to other devices. The modem also comes with an Active Queue Management system, which improves internet usability and reduces latency. It makes use of a Broadcom chipset with protection from Distributed Denial of Service that is built in to provide an additional source of online security. The device is also straightforward to set up, as it comes with the setup wizard to guide new users through the entire installation and setup process.
This modem also incorporates an Active Queue Management (AQM) to significantly reduce any form of internet latency while incorporating a full-band capture digital tuner to ensure that speed is enhanced and energy is saved. The device also features four ports that can use several IP addresses across its 38 x 8 channels. Plus, when using this modem, you are assured of constant speed without any pauses or lags.
An added benefit is that using the MB8600 means that you will eliminate up to $156 per year in cable modem rental expenses from your internet service provider.
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
Up next is the ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600, which comes with as many as four Ethernet ports. However, its four-port gigabit feature does not make it possible to receive cable digital voice service.
You can connect this modem with almost all the major cable internet providers in the US, including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and others. It does not come with cable internet service, so you will have to provide that yourself. One disadvantage of this modem is that it is not compatible with Fiber internet provider, DSL, CenturyLink, Verizon, or ATT. But, as you can expect to receive 8 upstream channels and 32 downstream channels, that should not be much of a problem. The modem is ideal for cable internet speed plans of up to 600 MBPS.and this means that it should be more than enough to support all your everyday gaming, surfing, and streaming tasks.
It is essential to mention that the ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600 is also a Wave 2 AC2350 double or dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi router, which comes with four gigabits of Ethernet ports. Plus, with this device, you can expect to erase all your monthly device rental fees from your service provider and enjoy some of the best speeds the internet has to offer. This modem also features the SURFboard Manager app, and this makes it very easy to set up. In addition to that, the device interface comes with LED light indicators that allow for easy installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
- DOCSIS Cable Modem, AC2350 dual-band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps.
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
For the next device on our list, we have the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000. NETGEAR makes its first entry with this modem – a router combo that can be compatible with Cox but almost all the cable internet service providers. These include Xfinity by Comcast and Spectrum. However, it is not compatible with AT&T, Verizon, DirectTV, DSL providers, DISH, as well as any of the bundled voice service providers.
Using the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000 makes it possible for you to save quite a significant amount of cash on your monthly rental expenses. Such expenses are mostly from utilizin