The 5 Best Modems for Spectrum Reviewed
Spectrum is a leader in providing high-quality and high-speed Internet services to consumers in the United States. But while they may be one of the very best, their rental equipment may slightly miss the mark.
Unlike other service providers, Spectrum does not have any charges on modem rentals, but some additional hidden costs might take you by surprise. There is a $5/month rental charge for a router and a $9.99/month fee for Wi-Fi activation. These costs combined may end up causing you to spend roughly $160/year in addition to your subscription just for these devices.
The good thing is that Spectrum customers can choose to buy a third-party modem instead of relying on the often low-quality devices available for rent. Purchasing your modem will not only save you money but will optimize your internet’s speed to make streaming, browsing, and gaming more enjoyable.
Let us check out some of the best modems for Spectrum subscribers on the market:
Best Modems for Spectrum
The ARRIS Surfboard SBG6900 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that consists of three major products: a Wi-Fi router, modem cable, and a four-port Gigabit Ethernet router. It is one of the best Surfboard products in its line-up.
This modem comes with 16 downloaded channels and four additional uploaded channels, and based on your internet subscription, its download speed can go up to 686Mbps. The ARRIS Surfboard SBG6900 is simply one of the best modems for streaming HD videos, gaming, and general internet browsing.
This modem does not require much to set up, but while it is easy to figure out, it also comes with a user guide should you have any issue. Additionally, there are also installation videos for those who would like a visual demonstration. For the most part, all you will need to do is plug it in to get started.
Overall, the ARRIS Surfboard SBG6900 is an excellent modem to purchase. At $255, it might cost more than your annual payment plan should you continue to use your service provider’s modem and router. It is a one-time payment, so you will get more value for your money, making it cost-effective.
- 3 products in 1: 16x4 Cable Modem, AC1900 WiFi Router and Gigabit 4 port Wired Router
- Ceritified on Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Mediacom and many other US Cable Internet Providers. Requires Internet Service.
- Cable Modem is 16 Download and 4 Upload Bonded Channels with Internet Download speeds up 686 Mbps based on your Internet Service Plan. Approved for plans up to 300 Mbps.
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers and supports IPv4 and IPv6-the latest Internet standard. Wi-Fi beamforming – max coverage and performance
- 2 year warranty with US based customer service. Refer to the Quick Start Guide and Installation video.Router is AC1900 dual band WiFi with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Great for streaming HD Videos and gaming.
The NETGEAR C3000 is a modem and router combination, and while it is certainly much better than the rentals provided by your service provider, it is not entirely the best on the market; but it gets the job done.
Compared to its other competitors, it is relatively small in size, weighing just 0.8 pounds and is about 0.8 inches tall.
Setting up this modem should not be a problem; all you have to do is plug it in and activate your internet service. It takes just a few minutes to be up and running.
In terms of its connectivity, it is pretty much limited. There are two Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB port, and a port for Coaxial input. There is a Wi-Fi connection, but it is only available on a single antenna that provides a limited speed of 300Mbps.
Furthermore, its software is relatively easy to use. Like most other NETGEAR products, it uses the same Genie backend; it appears as a series of six tiles that show information like your network’s performance, the number of connected devices, as well as your online status. You can click on any of these tiles to adjust your settings. You can also choose to download the Genie app through the Apple Store or Google Play Store. It has the same controls, but you will be able to adjust your settings via your mobile device.
The NETGEAR C3000 costs $94.99 in many retail centres, which is quite pricey for a modem of its size and capabilities. But then again, it is significantly less than what you will have to pay for your rented devices in a given year.
It is an ideal choice for people who live in much smaller homes or apartments because of its limited connectivity, not so much if you are more concerned about speed.
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more; Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- Three in one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + N300 WiFi Router+ 2 Gigabit Wired Switch. ELIMINTE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES Up to $156 per year
- DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- NETGEAR Genie App Content filtering Parental Controls allow you to manage your network from anywhere
- Note check your cable internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility. Ieee 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. Not compatible with cable bundled voice services
The TP-Link is one of the best user-friendly combinations of a router and modem. It comes with eight downloaded channels, as well as four uploaded channels. It has an exemplary user interface with a website that can allow you to make changes to your Internet settings. Plus, the modem can enable you to separate your network for guests. That way, you can set a limit to how much data your guests can use.
This modem is also easy to set up. Like other modems/routers, it only requires plugging to activate it, but if you want more information, the TP-Link also comes with a user manual.
Additionally, it has a great download and upload speed of 343Mbps and 143Mbps, respectively. It is not the most robust connection, nor does it have the broadest range, but you can seamlessly stream videos and upload large documents or files. Remember that the speed mostly depends on what type of data plan you have with Spectrum.
At $89.90, the TP-Link is reasonably priced and provides a decent internet connection. However, it might slow down a bit if there are too many people on a network.
- Eliminate Your Cable Modem Monthly Rental Fee
- Item is Cable Modem Router and great with Cable Internet plans up to 150Mbps
- Certified for XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW
- Game, stream, and download at Wi-Fi speeds up to 300Mbps
- Up to 343Mbps download and 143Mbps upload speeds (based on cable provider’s service)
The ARRIS Surfboard SB6190 is one of the most reliable and fastest modems available on the market. However, it is not a router and modem combo, so it does not have a wireless connection. There is an Ethernet port that allows you to connect to a router.
Because of its high internet speed, it is one of the perfect choices for people that rely on speed when interacting online. However, how fast you want to go depends on you. The minimum rate for this device is 250Mbps, but it can go up to as high as 1.6Gbps, which is more than what other modems can provide!
Online gamers would enjoy using this modem to play video games and download large-size games. Aside from it also being compatible with many cable providers, it is widely compatible with all PC systems as well.
Additionally, the ARRIS Surfboard SB6190 is very easy to set up. All you will need to do is log in to your service provider’s network portal and input the relevant details required to activate it. Your modem will come to life in a matter of minutes. There is an app that will help you control your modem and adjust your settings.
It will cost you roughly $85 for this super handy modem, which is the best value you can get for such a high-performing modem. It is significantly less than the cost of rented modems from your service provider. The ARRIS Surfboard SB6190 is a perfect choice for larger homes and families since it has a broad connection range and can support multiple users at once.